Friday, December 12, 2014

our BIG news

So, I was going to write an embarrassingly long-winded post updating you all on the last two years as well as our latest news. But since my last post was a year and a half ago, I thought it best to not be rude and just get to the point.

It all began with a calling. I felt God pushing me to quit my full-time job, and Chaz felt God pushing us to get out of debt and sell the house. As I write this update four years later, our lives have changed dramatically. We are debt free.

WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!

So, let me tell you how THAT happened.

Most of you know that we have made many sacrifices to get to this point including the following:
  • Chaz worked a second job as a waiter for almost two years
  •  Living in a super tiny apartment (2 adults+2 kids+1 dog+1 cat=6 uncomfortable creatures)
  •  Driving old, beat-up vehicles (and, for a time, only ONE vehicle)
  • Saying “no” to fun stuff A LOT
  •  Saying “yes” to budgeting and all things adult and boring, like saving money

But many of you may not know that God has poured out many financial blessings on us over the past couple years, including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Getting random checks in the mail from family or friends EXACTLY when we needed the cash
  • Chaz’s new career opportunity (which was almost single-handedly provided to him through a friend we may have never met if we had not started this journey)
  • A FREE CAR that we received this Halloween


  • An inheritance I received from my late grandfather, my sweet Poppy, who passed away in 2013
  • So many gifts of money, hand-me-downs, free rides (back when we had one vehicle), a borrowed car, a car seat, prayers, encouragement, etc.

Recently, I received a windfall of a fairly large amount of money. Unbeknownst to me, my late grandfather had filed a lawsuit against the nursing home where my grandmother passed away in 2010. As an heir to her estate, I was entitled to 25% of the settlement.

With that money, we just paid off the balance of my student loan. We also gave a portion to the church and saved the remainder to complete our next baby step (having an emergency fund of 3-6 months’ worth of living expenses).

Do you mind if I write it again in all caps? You can cheer if you want to…

WE’RE DEBT FREE!!!

Those three words look so good on the page. I can’t wait to do our debt-free scream on the Dave Ramsey show.

This journey to become debt free came with so many blessings. We knew only that God gave us a very clear directive to change our lives, but we had no idea how He would change us in the process. We sacrificed so much to get here, but I will tell that story at another time. Right now we just want you to share in our joy.

This journey has been more about building trust in each other and in Him. Our marriage grew into an exchange of love and trust and faith. We have learned that God's path is not just a good idea or principle that can be negotiated; it is life and truth and the BEST way. It is narrow and hard, but it is best.

The work is not over! We are not magically rich now, just in case you were wondering. We will continue to live our lives and manage our money in the ways that God has taught us to do so these past three years. We will just be doing it with a little less burden and a little more security. Thank you for being a part of this journey with us.


P.S. My goal for the New Year is to get back in the habit of writing often, so I hope to be in touch with y'all soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment